About School of Medical Sciences

History
1857 On November 12th,at Medical School in Nagasaki West Public Office of Shogun Government (location of current Prefectural Office), modern western-style medical teaching was started by Dutch Navy doctor Pompe van Meerdervoort. We regard this day as the anniversary of founding of Nagasaki University School of Medicine.
1861 Yōjōsho(modern western-style hospital and medical school)was established in Koshima.
1869 The Nagasaki Prefectural School of Medicine was renamed to Nagasaki Prefectural Hospital School of Medicine.
1871 The Nagasaki Prefectural Hospital School of Medicine belonged to the belonging of the Ministry of Education Jurisdiction and it was renamed to “National Nagasaki Medical School”.
1876 Medical Training School was established inside Nagasaki Prefectural Hospital.
1878 “Nagasaki Hospital Medical Training School" was renamed to "Nagasaki Medical School".
1888 "Nagasaki Medical School" was renamed to "Department of Medicine of the National 5th Middle High School".
1891 A new School Complex was completed and moved to Urakami.
1894 "Department of Medicine of the National 5th Middle High School" was renamed to "Department of Medicine of the National 5th High School".
1901 "Department of the medicine of the National 5th High School" was renamed to "Nagasaki Technical College of Medicine.
1923 By the governmental controller of Medical University controller, "Nagasaki Technical College of Medicine" was upgraded to “Nagasaki Medical College".
Nagasaki Prefectural Hospital became an affiliated Hospital of “Nagasaki Medical College".
1940 Affiliated Special Medical Vocational Department was added.
1942 East Asia Endemic Disease Research Institute was added.
1944 Affiliated Special Medical Vocational Department was renamed o affiliated Medical Vocational Department.
1945 Nagasaki Medical College and Hospital were totally destroyed by an atomic bomb and caused more than 890 casualties including the president,staff,nurses and students,Medical College headquarter was moved to Katafuchi Nagasaki Chamber of commerce,Nagasaki Economic Vocational School,then to National Elementary School and started medical treatment as an Medical College Hospital. In September,medical treatment and lectures were started at old Navy Hospital in Omura city.
1946 Endemic Disease Research Institute was added.(formerly East Asia Endemic Disease Research Institute).
1947 A part of Medical College headquarter and basic medical department returned to former main building of outpatient clinic.
Affiliated Medical Vocational Department ceased to exist.
1949 National Nagasaki University School of Medicine was established.
Nagasaki Medical College became inclusive of Nagasaki University and became Nagasaki University Medical College.
1950 The Hospital was restored.
1955 A course system was enforced in School of Medicine.
School of Medicine basic medicine building was completed.
Graduate School of Medicine was established.
1957 Medical Zoology course was established.
1959 Affiliated Hospital treatment ward was completed.
1961 Dermatology and urology course was divided into dermatology course and urology course.
1962 Affiliated Atomic Bomb Disease Institute was newly established to School of Medicine.
1964 Anesthesiology course was established.
1971 Third internal medicine course was established.
1972 Second pharmacology and neurosurgery courses were established.
Affiliated Atomic Bomb Disease Center was established.
1974 Affiliated Atomic Bomb Disease Center changed its name to School of Medicine affiliated Scientific Data Center for the Atomic Bomb Disaster.
1976 Establishment of attached University Hospital main building.
1978 Nagasaki University Library School of Medicine Branch was introduced.
1980 Affiliated Laboratory Animal Center for Biomedical Research was introduced.
1984 Clinical laboratory medicine course was established.
1986 Oncology course was established.
1987 Plastic surgery course was established.
1989 Cardiovascular surgery course was established.
1990 Basic Research complex was completed.
1992 Pompe Hall was completed.
1993 Gymnasium was completed.
1994 Student lecture complex was completed.
1996 School of Medicine welfare complex was completed.
1997 Affiliated Atomic Bomb Disease Institute and Scientific Date Center for the Atomic Bomb Disaster were reorganized into Affiliated Atomic Bomb Disease Institute.
1st Pharmacology and 2nd Pharmacology were reorganized into Pharmacology course.
2000 Course of Emerging Infections Diseases was established in Graduate School of Medicine.
2001 31 small courses and one main course were recognized into 6 main courses.
Health Science Department was established in School of Medicine.
2002 Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences was established.
6 main courses of School of Medicine was recognized into 4 main subjects.
2003 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute and Medicinal Plant Garden was attached to Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.(moved from undergraduate facility to graduate school’s facility)
Center for Frontier Life Sciences was established.(Radioisotope Research Center,Gene Research Center and affiliated Laboratory Animal Center for Biomedical Research were abolished)
Nagasaki University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry was established.(University Hospital of Medicine and University Hospital of Dentistry were combined)
2004 Nagasaki University was established by Nagasaki University, National University Corporation under the National University Corporation law.
2006 Advanced Medical Education Support Center was established.
2008 Cardiovascular Medicine was established.
2009 Gastroenterology and hepatology was established.
University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry was restructured and renamed University Hospital.
2012 The Graduate School of Medical Sciences was closed.
Community Medicine was established.
Clinical Oncology was established.
2013 Atomic Bomb Disease Institute became an attached institute to Nagasaki University.